Kingston LGBT Forum is looking for women to join our board of trustees.
Kingston LGBT Forum (the “Forum”) is a charity run exclusively by volunteers and managed by a team of trustees. The Forum provides services and activities for lesbian, gay, bi and trans (“LGBT+”) people in Kingston upon Thames.
We are looking for reliable people who care about local LGBT+ people to help us make Kingston a better, safer, healthier and more inclusive place for LGBT+ people.
If you are interested in applying, please read the information below and contact Charlie by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Trustee role description
Title: Trustee of Kingston LGBT Forum
The duties of a trustee are:
- To ensure that the Forum complies with its constitution, charity law, company law and any other relevant legislation or regulations;
- To ensure that the Forum pursues its objects as defined in its constitution;
- To ensure that the Forum applies its resources exclusively in pursuance of its objects (ie the Forum must not spend money on activities which are not included in its own objects, no matter how worthwhile or charitable those activities are);
- To contribute actively to the board of trustees’ role in giving firm strategic direction to the Forum, setting overall policy, defining goals and setting targets and evaluating performance against agreed targets;
- To safeguard the good name and the values of the Forum;
- To ensure the effective and efficient administration of the Forum;
- To ensure financial stability of the Forum; and
- To protect and manage the Forum’s property and to ensure the proper investment of the Forum’s funds.
In addition to the above statutory duties, each trustee should use any special skills, knowledge or experience they have to help the board of trustees reach sound decisions. This may involve scrutinising board papers, leading discussions, focusing on key issues, providing advice and guidance on new initiatives, or other issues in which the trustee has special expertise.
To be a Forum trustee you must:
- Care about LGBT+ people in Kingston upon Thames;
- Show your commitment to the Forum;
- Be willing to devote the necessary time and effort;
- Have strategic vision;
- Have good, independent judgement;
- Be able to think creatively;
- Be willing to speak your mind;
- Understand and accept the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of being a trustee; and
- Abide by Nolan’s seven principles of public life, which are:
- Honesty; and
The Forum especially welcomes expressions of interest from women of colour and trans women.